Wednesday 16 February 2011

Is ReadBud a Scam? (Day 2)

This post is a continuation of yesterday’s post which marked the beginning of my investigation into the paid to read articles site ReadBud.

I logged into ReadBud today and read all the available articles. There were a few less than yesterday and I was a few cents short of making a dollar. It will be interesting to see how many they offer me tomorrow.

My antivirus went crazy a few times as I was reading articles though, and I find this rather worrying because the sites I normally visit never present a problem and I cannot remember the last time it activated. I use a Firefox browser and have the NoScript extension installed. NoScript is a free extension that provides extra protection for mozilla-based browsers and it only allows JavaScript, Java and Flash and other plugins to be executed by sites that you trust. It also gives the most powerful Anti-XSS protection available in a browser. Yesterday when I visited ReadBud I allowed NoScript to block just about everything on the site except for what was needed to rate the articles. Today I set it to temporarily allow all on the pages. I won’t make that mistake again. I am still a long way off being able to say whether or not I think ReadBud is a scam, but the site does appear to have some worrying cross-scripts on the pages, so if you do decide to read articles at ReadBud I recommend that you have a functioning antivirus program installed on your computer and NoScript might be a good idea as well.