Sunday 23 October 2011

Where Have All The Free Bookmarks Gone?

Earlier this year I became a member of the She Told Me website. If you are not familiar with She Told Me allow me to enlighten you. The whole idea revolves around 'scoops.' If a member found an interesting article or website they could then write a brief discrispton and publish on She Told Me along with a link to the site. The thing I liked about it was that I could use She Told Me to generate links into my articles.

Sadly things seem to have changed somewhat since I last logged into the site, several months ago. I logged in today and discovered that I am now only allowed to post comments and vote on other people's scoops because I am a 'free member.' If I want to publish a scoop of my own it will cost me $5 a month, or $12 for the year.

What a pity! I like the site, but I have no intention of paying to use it. What can I say? I much prefer to make money online than to spend it, and that whole 'You've got to speculate to accumulate' thing does not appeal to me in the slightest.

I used to use Xomba.com in a similar fashion and considered it to be a great resource: Publish a bookmark and generates an inbound link for your article. Many people are still doing this, but I got banned from the site for 'breaking their rules.' Actually it was more a case of they changed the rules. That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes though.