Monday 21 September 2015

Why Isn't Skype Working? Enquiring Minds Want to Know

What's wrong with Skype


When Skype isn't working it can really spoil your day. I first noticed it wasn't working when I glanced down at the Skype icon on my taskbar and noticed a buffering sing. Then I opened up the program and saw Skype Home was unavailable.

Like millions of other users around the world I did a quick web search to try and figure out why the F@~K my Skype wasn't working and discovered it had gone down at 9.15 am (GMT).  This was at around noon (yep! I get up kinda late some days). It's now midnight (got to bed late too) and Skype still isn't working, but the status page over at the official company website states the engineers have identified the problem and are presently working on restoring the service.  The company is owned by Microsoft, who know a thing or two about computer programs, and presumably have some pretty top-notch engineers on the payroll, so I am amazed at how long this is taking.

A day without Skype can be a real bummer.


I just discovered there is an online version of Skype available. I never knew that, and it took a few attempts to log in. Then when I did successfully log in I could not see a way to make a call—so double bummer. Will Skype be up and running again in the morning? That remains to be seen, but I probably won't find out until lunch because I've still got things to do and it looks like being another late night.